Wednesday, January 26, 2011

T-Day!

T-Day ("Tonsil Day")....a little history....

It was a day long awaited for (by me) and long-dreaded (by the kiddos). We had been pursuing the opportunity to remove Kade's tonsils for years. The poor little man has suffered from countless tonsilitis infections--leaving him so, so sick and miserable. So, as we were doing our final exams and getting the official 'thumbs up' for Kade's surgery, a few things popped up in the medical evaluation questions that applied so well to Sydnie and her sleeping habits. I thought a quick, "hmmmm" and had the doctor do a quick look into her unsuspecting mouth. "Wow!" he exclaims...."those tonsils are huge! How is she sleeping at all?" Within minutes, my calculating Mom-Mind had figured a way to have both sets of tonsils removed...on the same day. Thus, we find ourselves at T-Day....with our brave, yet nervous Sydnie and Kaden.

They woke up and packed their backpacks with their favorite comfort items....blankies, Wilbur, the pig, and of course, the Angry Birds app on Don's cell phone for emergency measures. We arrived at the surgical center and they took them both back and got them changed into their gowns, cute surgical hats and the favorite item..."hospital socks." It was actually incredible how brave they both were. Even though everyone thought that my Mom-Mind had some serious glitches in the plan to have both surgeries together...I was saying silent prayers of gratitude as I watched those two amazing kids find strength and lots of courage in the fact that they were standing there experiencing it as "best friends."

Sydnie was the brave older sister and went first...then they came for Kade. Both surgeries were a great success, and we got to sit with both of them in a big recovery suite made for two. After Sydnie woke up, she popped right up and had her popsicles, juice and was ready to leave! The nurses couldn't believe how alert she was and how great she did coming out of the anesthetic. Even when she was still groggy, and I was rudely taking pictures of her, she would muster a smile and even stopped to rub her sweet Daddy's face. Everyone wanted to take her home with them, and one nurse asked if she could come back and teach the other kids the best way to act after getting their tonsils out.

Kade resisted a little more and just wanted to stay asleep a little longer. After some encouraging and the emergency call out to the Angry Birds Game on the cell phone....he decided to come home with us, too. They loaded them both into a big wheelchair, and gave them a ride out to the car. As you can see, not even that was enough to amuse Kade :)

Overall, this Mom walked out with my two brave babies and an extremely grateful heart. Not only did they fly through the procedure with grace and courage...but I also made it through my first experience with my children in surgery without them having to medicate me, as well :) (I think I was more nervous than they were!) Whew! On to the recovery! Here's to some great pain meds (for them) snoreless nights and happy throats going forward!

Thanks to everyone for their sweet calls, visits, cold treats and unconditional concern! We love you!

1 comment:

Trisha said...

I often think that kids are more brave than adults. I think back to what I went through as a cancer kid and am amazed at my bravery. I am the biggest baby now. Maybe we are all given a certain amount of pain tolerance in our lives and mine was all used up as a child.
I am glad all went well for you and the kiddos. Ü